Thursday, January 22, 2015

Positively 90's!

This idea was appropriated
from Lynn Bailey, an art
 teacher in inner city Chicago. 
by Elizabeth Van Allen 
scribblesbyartteachervanallen.blogspot.com

"Call my crib, yo."  I hear this ridiculously dated phrase (usually in a mocking or sarcastic tone) at least once a year during every class I teach.  This normally happens when the first lucky student sees the obnoxiously bright pink sign on an obnoxiously bright pink basket that holds my secret weapon.  I use that opportunity to be loudly exclaim my delight at their discovery... the call my crib slip.  I wish I could take credit for this brilliant idea, but I got it from another inner city art teacher.  During the 2007 NAEA conference in NYC I attended a session by Lynn Bailey called Survival Tips for New Inner-City Teachers.  The information packet she distributed was phenomenal, and it included a slip called Call My Crib.  Although I rolled my eyes at the time, she was really on to something!

The whole idea is that every student has an open invitation to be recognized in a positive way.  He or she picks up a slip from the designated basket, fills it out, and hands it to you.  They get a positive phone call home within 24 hours and everyone is happy.  I can not tell you the number of times that a parent or guardian has said "are you sure you got the right kid?"  That's my favorite part.

This is how I get all the 'good' numbers.
Believe it or not, this works better than candy!
  In my school's population, contact numbers change fast.  If a student is injured or in trouble it can sometimes be really difficult to get in contact with their guardian.  The students who are in trouble the most tend to be the ones who really want me to 'call their crib' and deliver some positive news.  This means that I usually have the most up-to-date numbers and the easiest time contacting home.  Plus I develop a good rapport with those parents, resulting in a better response when I call home for a less positive reason.

Word spreads fast. Once I prove that my word is good I develop stronger and more positive relationship with my students.  They want to do well because they know I'll communicate their successes to the right people.  Also, they tell their friends.  Once word spreads my life gets a lot easier.

Positive reinforcement makes a day more enjoyable for everyone involved... especially you.  Try making a positive phone call at the end of a really stressful day, it's like taking a pain killer for a headache.  The rest of your day will feel much, much smoother.

What creative tools do you utilize to form positive relationships with your students and their parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment