Thursday, February 12, 2015

You Know You're An Art Teacher When... #1: Chinatown Masterpiece

by Elizabeth Van Allen 
scribblesbyartteachervanallen.blogspot.com

When I reflect on the events that make up my life's version of normal, I often feel compelled to start with the phrase "You know you're an art teacher when...".  In honor of this much repeated mantra, I have decided to launch a series of posts that focus in on the unique thought processes and behaviors that are inherent in those of us who are artists and/or art teachers.  Enjoy this peek into my mind and feel free to post comments!


A laundromat where you can get
 food, a tin of tea, durian flavored
 candy, and a lenticular poster?  
That's a true convenience store! 
You know you're an art teacher when... you go with your friends into a Chinatown store with the express intent of buying fun Asian candy; instead you emerge with a 12"x16" lenticular Mona Lisa Poster to hang up in your classroom.  You are, of course, more excited about your purchase than any of your companions are about theirs.

 If you are thinking "what the heck is lenticular printing?", visit here to learn more:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_printing
Oh sweet Mona, why do your eyes follow me wherever I go? 
 You've gotta love classic kitsch!  If only I could find a velvet Starry Night...
I'm thinking about adding a text bubble that says something like "Are you working?" or "I love watching you work!" to hang up in the classroom with my new Mona.  (Not sure what I mean?  See my post from 7/17/14, 'traversing the summertime creative desert')

What should Mona's text bubble say?  Leave a comment with 
your suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment